Sydney Screen Studies Network (SSSN) is a research-led group of scholars, students, and screen enthusiasts, whose interests cover all aspects of film, television, and screen-based media. The Network welcomes members from across Sydney, Newcastle, Wollongong, and greater New South Wales. SSSN aims to provide a casual networking and collegial relationship-building space for screen studies in Sydney. The group aims to produce research outputs through collaborations including grants, publications, screenings, and other projects. Our goal is to bring together scholars, students, researchers, and industry practitioners in film, television, and screen-based media studies.
SSSN also has a dedicated higher degree research (HDR) students and early career researchers group. We run events and workshops focused on building a community and developing the skills of early career researchers and HDR students in Sydney and surrounds.
The network objectives are to:
- Create an academic community of scholarly engagement around screen studies, specifically film, television, and screen-based media studies, in the greater Sydney area.
- Create a collegial environment within which to cultivate ideas and develop research practice.
- Provide a forum for creating sustained engagement with the key concerns and themes of and around screen studies.
- Advance discipline-specific discourses on and around screen studies through workshops, seminars, screenings, and conferences.
- Foster an environment and develop a program that caters to the needs of HDR students and early career researchers in screen studies.
We hold fortnightly talks, workshops, and screenings during semester, as well as informal social events throughout the year. All of our events are free and open to anyone.
We are also currently working on a special issue with Fusion Journal based on our 2017 program: Intersections in Film and Media Studies.